Friday, March 25, 2011

Idol Factory

At the center of me is a deep well of self-centeredness, and within that well is my idol factory which is busy producing idols in the image of me. Little Drew idols are produced at every hour of the day. Some days the quota is low, other days the workers need to put in overtime to keep up with the demand. These idols are then placed on podiums in my heart - the place that controls my will, desires, and emotion.

So often my decisions are then made in accordance to what would please these 'gods.' And then my feelings are a direct result of if the gods' appetite for worship and glory has been satiated.

These gods demand my time be given to please them. Even the gifts I have received from the true God are required by them for their purposes and pleasure. Worst of all, they crave my motivations when I pursue acts of love.

Fortunately, I know Someone who makes a business of demolishing such factories. The problem is, whenever I take my eyes off His business card, a new factory begins construction. That's why I need Him in the construction zone that is my heart, every day - every moment. Do work Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment